2018 Winning Derby Burger Recipe: D to the Double B
Jay Neubacher’s Derby Bourbon Burger features a 5-spice rub made with Bourbon smoked paprika, is topped with with grilled onion and mushrooms, bacon and Embasa Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce. It’s topped with melted provolone cheese on a brioche bun.
- 100% Angus Ground Beef Chuck
- Kroger Private Selection Golden Brioche Buns
- Hickory Smoked Bacon
- Smoked Provolone Cheese Slices
- Sliced baby bella mushrooms
- Sliced white onions
- Shredded lettuce
- Honey Mustard
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Bourbon Barrel Foods (Kentucky Proud): Bourbon Smoked Paprika
- Embasa Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- E.V. Olive Oil
1)Combine and mix:
2 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1 tbsp. Bourbon smoked paprika
1 tbsp. chili power
1 tbsp. garlic powder
2)Combine in small blender:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup of ketchup
1 tsp. honey mustard
1 whole chipotle pepper coated
with adobo sauce
(only one pepper, NOT the whole can)
1 tbsp. of spice mix from above
Blend all ingredients until smooth
3) Cook the bacon slices separately until crisp and then crush into bits.
4) In a skillet: add 2 tbsp. olive oil, add the mushrooms and saute over medium heat, add the onions after about 3 minutes, 1 pinch of spice from Step 1 and continue to saute together until soft.
5) Take the ground beef and form into 1 inch thick, 1/3 lb. patties and prepare your grill for medium-high heat.
6) Grill the patties with a pinch of spice from Step 1. After about 3 minutes flip the patties and grill for about 3 additional minutes then slightly mound the onions & mushrooms from Step 4, and give a generous sprinkle of the bacon from Step 3 and cover all with a slice of the Provolone cheese. Cook an addition minute or so until the cheese melts and the burger is 160 degrees internal.
7)Lightly toast the Brioche buns during the final minute of cooking the burgers.
8)Generously add the sauce from Step 2 to the top of the bun and a pinch of shredded lettuce to the sauce, combine the burger from Step 6 to the bottom half and combine the two halves.