ASPARAGUS SALAD W/ HARDBOILED EGGS, PICKLED RADISH, WALNUTS, & RED WINE VINAIGRETTE
Spring has sprung, and there’s no better time than Derby to showcase some of the season’s best vegetables. Bright colors, bold flavors – this salad is sure to be a show-stopper.
- 1 bunch asparagus, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1 bunch asparagus, peeled
- 1 watermelon radish, sliced thinly
- 1 cup pickled radish, recipe below
- ½ cup red wine vinaigrette, recipe below
- 1 bunch watercress, cleaned and long stems removed
- 4 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- Bring a salted pot of water to a boil for blanching.
- Prepare an ice bath for shocking.
- Add asparagus to the pot of water and blanch for 1 minute.
- Remove from pot and immediately place in ice bath.
- Once cool, pat the asparagus dry with a paper towel and slice on the bias into 1 inch pieces In a large bowl, toss together the watercress, asparagus, watermelon radish, and pickled radish.
- Garnish with hard boiled eggs and toasted walnuts.
- If serving immediately, can toss together with vinaigrette, or serve on the side.
- 1 lb. radish, shaved thinly on a mandolin
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup honey
- In a medium pot, bring the rice vinegar, water, and honey to a boil.
- Place the radishes in a shallow pan and pour the pickling liquid over.
- Place a weight or plate on top of the radishes to make sure they are fully submerged.
- Let pickle for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 shallot, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Salt, black pepper – to taste
- Add red wine vinegar, water, Dijon mustard, honey and shallot to a blender and mix on medium
- Slowly add olive and canola oils until mixture is emulsified.
- Season with salt and
pepper to taste.