SWEET POTATO & TURKEY CHILI
Every party has room for chili. Whether it’s by itself, a condiment for hot dogs or piled on top of some nachos – it’s always a crowd pleaser.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, small diced
- 1 onion, small diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and small diced
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Salt, pepper – to taste
- Heat a large stockpot under medium high heat and add olive oil.
- Add bell pepper, onion and garlic, cooking until vegetables are softened – 4-5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and make sure to break into small pieces. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and coat vegetables and turkey well. Continue to cook until meat is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne.
- Stir well and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add sweet potatoes, crushed tomatoes, black beans and chicken stock.
- Stir well and cover with lid.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for at least 30 minutes for flavors to meld – stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with your favorite chili toppings – ours are Fritos (ALWAYS), cilantro, fat-free sour cream, cheddar and pickled jalapenos.