Signature Mint Julep
Our Signature Mint Julep
Makes: 1 cocktail
Our julep uses a mint simple syrup, which is quicker than muddling and makes the drink easy to make for several people at once. We use Woodford Reserve bourbon, the official bourbon of Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby. You can adjust the sweetness by adding more or less simple syrup.
- 1 ounce Mint Simple Syrup (below)
- 2 ounces Woodford Reserve bourbon
- 1 mint sprig, for garnish
- Mint Simple Syrup
- 1 part sugar
- 1 part water
- 1 part packed fresh mint leaves
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine the sugar and water.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the mint leaves, and let the mixture steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain before using, pressing on the mint leaves to extract as much syrup as possible.
- Fill a tall glass or julep cup with crushed ice.
- Add the syrup and then the bourbon.
- Top with more crushed ice
- Add a sipping straw, garnish with the mint, and serve.
Recipes are from the The Bourbon Country Cookbook and That’s Entertaining by Tim Laird, America’s CEO – Chief Entertaining Officer, both available on Amazon and in local bookstores.
Instagram, Twitter, Facebook: @timlairdcheers
Reprinted with permission from The Bourbon Country Cookbook by David Danielson and Tim Laird, Agate Surrey, 2018.